The purpose of the Scheme is to support projects leading to strengthening community resilience to natural disasters consistent with State risk profiles, and providing support to emergency management volunteers.
National Strategy for Disaster Resilience
Grant funding made available to projects under the Natural Disaster Resilience Grants (NDRGS) is to contribute towards the fulfillment of the National Strategy for Disaster Resilience (NSDR), adopted nationally in 2011. Applicants are advised to familiarise themselves with the Strategy. Applications should demonstrate a contribution to at least one of the seven key action themes of the Strategy:
- leading change and coordinating effort
- understanding risks
- communicating with and educating people about risks
- partnering with those who effect change
- empowering individuals and communities to exercise choice and take responsibility
- reducing risks in the built environment
- supporting capabilities for disaster resilience.
Follow the link to the The National Strategy for Disaster Resilience
Victoria’s major natural disaster risks in order of significance are bushfire, flood, pandemic influenza, heatwave, severe storm and earthquake. Applicants may wish to refer to the publication Emergency Risks in Victoria to use in their application. Applicants addressing other risks are also entitled to apply. Projects that address risk should demonstrate their priority on a local or regional basis by reference to a relevant and recent risk assessment.
Who can apply?
- State government departments and agencies, including floodplain management authorities
- municipal councils
- volunteer emergency service organisations
- peak bodies and incorporated associations/organisations with an emergency management purpose, connection or interest
- research institutions
- private and non-government organisations, including small business and associated business groups.
Generally applicants must provide a matching contribution of 50% of total project costs in either cash or kind. Flood projects or those submitted by volunteer organisations may apply for grants of greater than 50% of total project costs.
Size of Grants
Grants sought should not be below $10,000 and should generally not exceed $250,000.
Forms and Guidelines
You can download relevant documents below for assistance.
Need further assistance?
More information can be obtained by calling the NDRGS liaison officer at Emergency Management Victoria on (03) 8685 1309 or by email to email@example.com
If you would like to receive this publication in a more accessible format, you can request it via our feedback form.