- The Emergency Management Diversity and Inclusion Framework
- Agency and departmental action plans
- Download the framework as a PDF
On this page
The Emergency Management Diversity and Inclusion Framework
Why is diversity important?
It is widely acknowledged that workplace diversity brings better thinking, richer discussions, more innovative outcomes, and a more inclusive workplace for everybody. Diverse leadership teams are more innovative and produce stronger business outcomes.
Victoria is one of the most diverse populations in Australia. Greater diversity in our workforce tells the community that our sector is an inclusive workforce, and we reflect the community we serve.
- Build a culturally safe workforce that enables inclusion and self-determination in all its policies, programs and structures.
- Cultivate a safe and inclusive workplace culture that empowers everyone to achieve their full potential and ultimately allow people to be comfortable being their authentic selves within the Sector.
- Foster a workplace culture that embraces diversity and inclusion to better serve the communities they reflect.
- Promote and sustain inclusivity outcomes by cultivating a culture that recognises and values the diversity of all individuals.
- Develop a Sector wide understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion to create a supportive environment for all facets of diversity and its intersections.
Build and Transform: Systems and structures
Develop policies and programs that transform systems and structures to enable decision-making within leadership and adopt an outcomes-focused approach that works to structurally change the Sector by creating a system that ensures its policies and programs are responsive to the communities changing needs, priorities, and aspirations.
Embrace diversity and inclusion across the Sectors to better reflect and connect with the communities they serve, create high-performing, respectful, inclusive, and safe working environments in which the full potential of all members is realised, and enable a breadth of perspective and innovation in service design and delivery.
Recognition and Accountability
Create a culture that recognises its shortcomings and improves its response to bias and discrimination by working to improve its culture and understands that a 'one size fits all' approach does not work for all agencies within the Sector.
Achieve a Sector-wide understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion that sets the foundations for a supportive environment for all where everyone is valued, and where all contribute to a respectful, safe, and inclusive environment where everyone has equal access to recruitment, progression and resources.
What does inclusion mean to the Sector?
Within the Emergency Management Sector inclusion means:
- Creating an environment that promotes and supports individuals from diverse backgrounds, ensuring our workforce reflects the community we serve.
- By acknowledging our shortcomings, we acknowledge the need to address the cultural and historical barriers that have limited the participation and representation of certain groups within our Sector. By doing so, we can lay the foundation for a more inclusive and equitable future.
- Actively promoting an overall culture that diversity that encourages individuals from all walks of life to contribute their unique perspectives and talents within our workforce.
Agency and departmental action plans
Find links below to individual action plans set out by agencies and departments who have contributed to our framework.
Ambulance Victoria (AV)
Country Fire Authority (CFA)
Department of Education (DE)
Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA) - Includes Parks Victoria and Forest Fire Management Victoria
Department of Health (DH)
Department of Justice and Community Safety (DJCS) - includes Emergency Management Victoria (EMV), Emergency Recovery Victoria (ERV), Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) and Inspector-General for Emergency Management (IGEM)
Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV)
Victoria Police (VicPol)
Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES)
Download the framework as a PDF
If you would like to receive this publication in a more accessible format, you can request it via our feedback form.