Applications for the 2023-24 Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Program (VESEP) are now open.
About the Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Program
The Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Program (VESEP) is an annual grants program funded by the Victorian Government, which provides funding to Victorian emergency services volunteer groups to purchase essential operational equipment, vehicles and appliances and minor facility improvements.
Victorian Volunteer Emergency Service groups can apply for a grant up to a maximum of $150,000 excluding GST. The VESEP will provide $2 for every $1 of funding contributed by the local volunteer group.
Who can apply
The VESEP is open to the following organisations:
- Country Fire Authority
- Life Saving Victoria
- Victoria State Emergency Service
- Volunteer Marine Search and Rescue units
- Other eligible volunteer emergency services groups as defined in the State Emergency Management Plan.
What can be funded
Equipment purchased with the grant funding can include, but is not limited to vehicles, trucks, tankers, watercraft, trailers and can also include minor facility improvements.
Projects must begin on or after the start of the funding allocation and should be fully expended by the end of the grant’s financial year.
The types of equipment funded under the program include:
Operational Equipment such as:
- Quick Fill Pumps
- Inflatable Rescue Boats and engines
- Rescue and Safety Equipment
Vehicles and Appliances such as:
- Lighting and Storm Trailers
- Light/Medium Tankers
- Big Fill Trucks
- Rescue Trucks
Minor Facility Improvements such as:
- Amenities – such as: kitchens/change rooms
- Temporary and transition facilities
What will not be funded
- core budget requirements
- recurrent expenditure such as maintenance
- projects currently in progress
- project overspends
How applications are assessed
Applications are assessed against the following criteria:
- the asset will enhance operational capability
- the group has the appropriate resources to house, operate and maintain the asset
- the asset will provide a net community benefit
- funding for the asset has not been received under another program
- the group must meet their matched funding formula contribution
- the group can demonstrate that the make and model of all equipment meets agency standards.
An assessment panel (VESEP Panel) is chaired by Emergency Management Victoria and will comprise representatives from relevant emergency services organisations.
How to apply
- Agencies will distribute specific guidelines and details on application forms.
- You need to complete the required application form, attaching relevant financial plans, statements and responses to agency specific key selection criteria.
- Submit your application by the due date.
The following are links to the application portals for each agency.
Access to Country Fire Authority and Victoria State Emergency Service application details will require members to login first.
Country Fire Authority applications (External link)
Victoria State Emergency Services applications (External link)
Life Saving Victoria applications (External link)
Volunteer Marine Search and Rescue unit applications (External link)
Other eligible volunteer organisation applications (External link)
What happens next
- Your application will be reviewed and prioritised by your agency.
- The VESEP Panel will assess applications and provide recommendations to the Minister for Emergency Services.
- Following the Minister’s decision, you will be advised of the outcome of your application in writing.
Previous VESEP grant recipients
View the list of VESEP grant recipients.
For more information, please contact Emergency Management Victoria via email at email@example.com (External link).