Applications for the 2020-21 Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Program (VESEP) are now open.
What is the Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Program?
The Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Program (VESEP) is an annual grants program funded by the Victorian Government, which provides funding to Victorian emergency services volunteer groups to purchase essential operational equipment, vehicles and appliances and minor facility improvements.
Victorian Volunteer Emergency Service groups can apply for a grant up to a maximum of $150,000 excluding GST. The VESEP will provide $2 for every $1 of funding contributed by the local volunteer group.
Who can apply?
The VESEP is open to the following organisations:
- Country Fire Authority
- Life Saving Victoria
- Victoria State Emergency Service
- Volunteer Marine Search and Rescue units
- Other eligible volunteer emergency services groups as defined in the Emergency Management Manual Victoria.
What can be funded?
Equipment purchased with the grant funding can include but is not limited to: vehicles, trucks, tankers, watercraft, trailers and can also include minor facility improvements.
Projects must begin on or after the start of the funding allocation and should be fully expended by the end of the grant’s financial year.
The types of equipment funded under the program include:
1. Operational Equipment such as:
- Quick Fill Pumps
- Inflatable Rescue Boats and engines
- Rescue and Safety Equipment
2. Vehicles and Appliances such as:
- Lighting and Storm Trailers
- Light/Medium Tankers
- Big Fill Trucks
- Rescue Trucks
3. Minor Facility Improvements such as:
- Amenities – such as: kitchens/change rooms
- Temporary and transition facilities
What will not be funded?
Core budget requirements such as:
- Recurrent expenditure such as maintenance
- Projects currently in progress
- Project overspends
How are applications assessed?
Applications are assessed against the following criteria:
- The asset will enhance operational capability
- The group has the appropriate resources to house, operate and maintain the asset
- The asset will provide a net community benefit
- Funding for the asset has not been received under another program
- The group must meet their matched funding formula contribution
- The group can demonstrate that the make and model of all equipment meets agency standards
An assessment panel (VESEP Panel) is chaired by Emergency Management Victoria and will comprise representatives from relevant emergency services organisations.
How to apply?
Submitting your application
1) Agencies will distribute specific guidelines and application forms.
2) You need to complete the application form, attaching relevant financial plans, statements and responses to agency specific key selection criteria.
3) Submit your application by the due date.
The following are links to the application portals for each agency. Note, access to CFA and VICSES application details will require members to log-in first.
What happens next?
1) Your application will be reviewed and prioritised by your agency.
2) The VESEP Panel will assess applications and forward recommendations to the Minister for Police and Emergency Services.
3) Following the Minister’s decision, you will be advised of the outcome of your application in writing.
Who has previously received a grant?
For more information, contact Emergency Management Victoria via email at email@example.com (External link)